Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Gardening Time.....

It is that time of the year....starting gardens. With the economy like it is now it is more important than ever to set aside some area of the yard and plant a few garden plants. If you don't have the area you can even plant a variety of garden plants in pots and keep them outside.
How important is it for us to do this? Read what several prophets have said......

“When harvest comes, giving us the grain, it is for us to preserve it – to save the wheat until we have one, two, five, or seven years’ provisions on hand”
Brigham Young

“The revelation to produce and store food may be as essential to our temporal welfare today as boarding the ark was to the people in the days of Noah.”
Pres. Benson – 1987

“There is a portent of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give heed.”
Pres. Hinckley – 1998

“The best storehouse is the family storehouse.
Pres. Hinckley – 2005

“Through careful planning most church members can, over time, establish both a financial reserve and a years’ supply of essentials.”
First Presidency – 2002

I would also encourage everyone to keep adding to their year's supply. Follow the example of Carol, Joy, and Courtney and work the coupon system to get extra items at little or no cost. The Lord will bless everyone who tries to be self-reliant.

1 comments:

Joy said...

I wish the couponing was as good here as Gilbert. I'm spending the same amount and getting about half the stuff:( Maybe when we get a house I'll attempt a garden again... Then again, maybe not! It's a lot of work, but maybe I'll have better success out of the scorching heat.... Maybe when Paige is about 4 and then she can be my little garden helper.