Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Local Indian Event....

 Last Saturday Mom and I went, with another couple, to the Gan ondagan's 21st annual Native American Dance & Music Festival.  It was really cool.  You know it really was if I say that.  The main part of the festival was when the Haudenosaunee (a tribe of Iroquois Indians) performed some Iroquois Social Dancing.  Here is one of the dancers that wanted his pictures taken with the best looking "white-eye" at the festival.
 This group of Ganondagan Dancers make it a point to involve their young people in the dancing.  Here are a couple of the small kids that participated in the dancing.
 Here is another look at Mom's friend.  He was one of the best dancers of the group.
 The men were very colorful with their costumes.  They explained that the feathering on their heads would show which tribe they were from.  Most had one feather and came from the same tribe.  In the photo below you will see that the dancer has three feathers and that means that he is from another tribe.
 The women were colorful with their costumes also.
This is a Iroquois flute builder.  He explained to me the process involved in making one flute.  It was very interesting to see him work on one.  I ended up buying one from him.  By the time I get home I'll be able to play songs for Jack.

0 comments: