Monday, March 31, 2008

Vietnam War Memorial

Several years ago Mary and I had a chance to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington D.C. It was one of the most solemn and touching memorials I've ever seen. To think that on that wall were the names of more than 58,000 young people that gave their lives for our country. I found the names of several of my HS classmates on the wall.

This past Saturday a much smaller version of the Washington D.C. wall came to Safford. It will be on display this week at Firth Park. Two thousand Arizona Vietnam Vets on motorcycles met the truck carrying the wall at the New Mexico border and escorted it to Safford. It is a mobile version of the memorial in Washington D.C. It doesn't have the visual impact of the one on Capital Square, but all those names do have an impact on anyone that sees it. I'm glad it came to Safford and I got a chance to see it. (Double click on the pictures to enlarge)




































0 comments: